Related Reading & Resources
Mindfulness in Medicine, Healthcare, Society
Mindfulness for Children
Dan Harris on his mindfulness journey
Featuring Carey Chilton Charyk
Kate Spencer: Meditation and the Multi-Tasker (pdf download)
Media Articles on Mindfulness
Scientific articles on Mindfulness
- “In this Commentary, we define mindfulness, consider possible mechanisms, explore clinical applications, and identify challenges to the field.”
- “Background: Medical students confront significant academic, psychosocial, and existential stressors throughout their training. Mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR) is an educational intervention designed to improve coping skills and reduce emotional distress.”
- “Telomerase activity is a predictor of long-term cellular viability, which decreases with chronic psychological distress (Epel et al., 2004). Buddhist traditions claim that meditation decreases psychological distress and promotes well-being (e.g., Dalai Lama and Cutler, 2009).”
- Brach, Tara. Radical Acceptance: Embracing Your Life with the Heart of a Buddha. New York: Bantam, 2003.
- Chodron, Pema. Welcoming the Unwelcome. Boulder: Shambhala, 2019
- Gunaratana, Henepola. Mindfulness in Plain English. Boston: Wisdom Publications, 2002
- Kabat-Zinn, Jon. Full Catastrophe Living: Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain, and Illness. New York, NY: Delacorte, 1990.
- Kabat-Zinn, Jon. Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life. New York: Hyperion, 1994.
- Levine, Stephen. A Gradual Awakening. Garden City, NY: Anchor, 1979.
- Williams, J. Mark G., et al The Mindful Way through Depression: Freeing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness. New York: Guilford, 2007.
- Williams, Mark, and Danny Penman. Mindfulness: An Eight-week Plan for Finding Peace in a Frantic World. Emmaus, PA: Rodale, 2011.