Related Reading & Resources
Mindfulness in Medicine, Healthcare, Society
Mindfulness for Children
Dan Harris on his mindfulness journey
Featuring Carey Chilton Charyk
Jamie Tobias Neely: Memories of Ream live on in the art of meditation (pdf download)
Kate Spencer: Meditation and the Multi-Tasker (pdf download)
Media Articles on Mindfulness
Scientific articles on Mindfulness
- “In this Commentary, we define mindfulness, consider possible mechanisms, explore clinical applications, and identify challenges to the field.”
Association of an Educational Program in Mindful Communication With Burnout, Empathy, and Attitudes Among Primary Care Physicians- JAMA -2009;302(12):1284-1293
Mindfulness-based stress reduction lowers psychological distress in medical students – Thomas Jefferson University; Mar 1, 2003
- “Background: Medical students confront significant academic, psychosocial, and existential stressors throughout their training. Mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR) is an educational intervention designed to improve coping skills and reduce emotional distress.”
Intensive meditation training, immune, cell telomerase activity, and psychological mediators.
- “Telomerase activity is a predictor of long-term cellular viability, which decreases with chronic psychological distress (Epel et al., 2004). Buddhist traditions claim that meditation decreases psychological distress and promotes well-being (e.g., Dalai Lama and Cutler, 2009).”
- Brach, Tara. Radical Acceptance: Embracing Your Life with the Heart of a Buddha. New York: Bantam, 2003.
- Chodron, Pema. Welcoming the Unwelcome. Boulder: Shambhala, 2019
- Gunaratana, Henepola. Mindfulness in Plain English. Boston: Wisdom Publications, 2002
- Kabat-Zinn, Jon. Full Catastrophe Living: Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain, and Illness. New York, NY: Delacorte, 1990.
- Kabat-Zinn, Jon. Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life. New York: Hyperion, 1994.
- Levine, Stephen. A Gradual Awakening. Garden City, NY: Anchor, 1979.
- Williams, J. Mark G., et al The Mindful Way through Depression: Freeing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness. New York: Guilford, 2007.
- Williams, Mark, and Danny Penman. Mindfulness: An Eight-week Plan for Finding Peace in a Frantic World. Emmaus, PA: Rodale, 2011.